Home Page

The Rackham C of E Primary School

Background Slideshow

information report



The Rackham C of E Primary School

SEND Information Report 2020

Rackham follows the Local Education Authority's Offer in terms of provision for children with SEND.


How does Rackham identify SEND?


These can be discovered in a number of ways:

  • concern raised by a parent / guardian

  • regular class assessments or work e.g. spellings, reading tests, maths, work in class

  • information from a previous school or health professional


How will Rackham Support my child with SEND?

A graduated response is followed after discussions with parents. Differentiated work, activities and other arrangements will be tried in class initially and the children closely monitored. If little or no progress is made then the children can be placed on the school's SEND register at SEND support and the support provided will increase. This maybe in the form of withdrawal intervention groups led by a teacher or teaching assistant, specialist equipment to use in the classroom, different classroom activities and more individualised homework. For those children experiencing significant difficulties we call on the advice of outside agencies to support us in supporting your child e.g. Speech Therapists, Educational Psychologists, Special Needs Service teachers (learning and autism specialists, Behavior management teachers) etc.


How will I know how my child is progressing?


You will be invited to meet with the class teacher termly to review your child's progress. Together you will look at the progress made in class and in any intervention groups that your child has attended. Then the next steps of your child's provision will be planned with you. If your child has a current statement or Education, care and Health Plan, an annual review will be held with you and all professionals working with your child.


Will my child be able to take part in the whole curriculum?


All of Rackham’s curriculum is accessible to children with SEND and adaptations are made based on the child's individual needs. After school clubs and activities are open to all children. Provision is made for children with SEND to take part in off-site trips and residentials. The school is easily accessible for children with a disability. Ramps and lifts have been installed to provide access to all areas. The car park has one spaces designated for disabled badge holders.


What training have staff received and what specialisms does Rackham have?


All teaching staff receive termly training in different areas of SEND e.g. Dyslexia, Autism, Speech and Language on a rotating basis. Individual members of staff have received further training depending on the needs of the children in their class. One teaching assistants is highly qualified in Speech and Language and all teaching assistants providing intervention groups have been trained in that intervention.

Rackham is a 'Dyslexia Friendly School'.


What interventions could my child take part in?

Rackham runs a variety of intervention each terms and these change depending on the needs of the children at any one time. Care is taken to match the child to the relevant intervention group and this will be discussed with you at your termly meeting with the class teacher. We are also careful not to overload the child with too many interventions at once.


Where can I find information about Rackham’s approach to pupils with SEND?


The school’s approach to pupils with SEND is documented in the school’s SEND policy.


Who is the person responsible for children with SEND?


Every teacher has the responsibility for children with SEND in their class.

The SEND co-ordinator (Mrs A Boyden) is the person responsible in ensuring that support meets the needs of the children and provides support and advice to teachers and parents where required.

Mrs Boyden has successful completed the National Award for SEND Coordination


How do I contact the person responsible for SEND or arrange to meet them?


Mrs Boyden is a full time member of staff at the school. She teaches four days a week in Reception and has dedicated SENDCO time on Tuesday. She is more than willing to discuss concerns that parents/carers may have about their children’s learning along with the progress that they are making following receiving support or working on intervention programmes.

Mrs Boyden can be contacted through the school office my telephone of


Who can I contact to provide additional advice and support for my family?


Children’s Centre

Parent Partnership Service

Family Support Service


Statutory Assessment and Resources team

School Nurse

Family Worker


How are parents/carers and children with SEND supported to share their views and concerns and work alongside the school?


The school has a variety of ways to allow parents/carers and to share their views and concerns. Teachers endeavour to be available at the end of the school day, if parents/carers wish to discuss their child. Alternately, a Home-School link book can be provided. In addition, the school holds parent consultations 3 times a year.


Also the class teachers will hold structured conversation with parents and carers that they feel will benefit from a more formal meeting.

The structured conversations enable the class teacher and parent/carers to have time to talk about priorities, key issues or to indentify issues. At the end of every structured conversation it will allow both teacher and parent to plan agreed targets, develop an action plan or set achievable outcomes.


At Rackham we want parents to become more engaged in their child’s learning, have increased confidence in the education system and better relationships with their child’s school. Holding 3 structured conversations throughout the year with parent/carers allows the class teacher to plan and provide the best support for the child/children.


If I am not happy with the provision at the school, how can I share my concerns or make a complaint?


If you are not happy with the SEND provision at the school, please contact the class teacher or SEND co-ordinator to share your concerns.

If you wish to make a complaint please follow our complaints procedure which is located on our school website or from our school office.


How are parents involved in the school? How can I be involved?


Sharing information with school staff

Being aware of their child’s learning targets

Supporting your child with their learning in school and at home

Not feeling that any question is too silly and telling school staff if there is anything you don’t understand

Home-school books

Parent/Carer consultations

Attending any meetings or workshops in school to support your child

Completing homework activities

Parent governors

Parent/Carer questionnaires

Helping in school


Where can I find information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer for children with SEND and their family?


Information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found on the Cambridgeshire County Council website. A link is provided below


Our Values