The Rackham School, named after its founder, The Rev. Hanworth Edward Rackham, was started in 1844 and a new school built on the present site in 1851. Since then considerable modernisation and development have taken place. Rev. Hanworth Rackham ran a day and Sunday school which accomodated between 70 and 100 pupils. Children paid a penny a week to attend. Rev Rackham was the vicar of Witchford, until he died in 1884.
Please read our 'Christian Ethos' page to learn more about Rev. Rackham and the history of our school.
The school is situated two and a half miles to the west of the cathedral city of Ely and about sixteen miles north of the centre of Cambridge. The village of Witchford is linear, being nearly two miles long from end to end. The village boasts a church, a chapel, a public house, recreation grounds and a Village College. The population of Witchford is in the region of 1900. The school's catchment area also includes the nearby villages of Coveney, Wentworth, Wardy Hill and Way Head. School transport is available for these children to ensure that they can travel to and from school safely each day, accompanied only by other pupils from our school and an adult supervisor.
There are eleven classes in the school with two smaller Foundation Stage classes, three parallel Year 1/2 classes and the same system with Years 3/4 and Years 5/6, catering for a roll of 292 children. The school features a large hall which is fully equipped with P.E. apparatus, a kitchen run by our school, a reference library, group rooms, an ICT suite, an all-weather pitch and a heated outdoor swimming pool. In addition we have a large playing field and wildlife area beautifully set in a fenland/rural environment alongside two tarmac playground areas. There is also an active pre-school, which adjoins the school.
The school has a hard working Friends of Witchford Rackham (FWR) group which serve the school well, raising considerable sums of money each year. School functions such as sports days, class assemblies, open evenings, dances, discos etc. are very well supported by the parents.
Often parents can be seen during the course of the day helping teachers at school both in and out of the classroom, with such activities as reading with children, cooking, art work, swimming and games.
The children are allocated into three Houses led by House Captains, who total up House points at the end of each week. Houses are all linked to the history of the school. Rev Hanworth E. Rackham founded the school. land for the school was given by Christopher Pemberton and the first headteacher was Mr Peyton.